When taking a look at what might be the Best Kids Movies in 2009, a number of different ideas can enter in such as strictly the “best” new release spiritual movie, the best movie sales in theatres, best by critical acclaim, etc., etc.
I decided to boil this subject down to a simple list of movies that were most popular by sales in the formats of DVD and Blu-Ray – they do in fact include some new releases for the year of 2009, but there are some re-makes of classics this year that come toward the top of the list.
And what a list! Here it is:
1. Disney Pixar Up – Yes, Disney and Pixar have done it again. This is one of the most entertaining Pixar movies yet! The story is about an elderly balloon salesman that decides to fulfill his dream (in a way many people would consider a bit unusual) – and there are some others along for the ride. This is a nice movie for kids of any age and is very amusing!
2. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince – The sixth year at Hogwarts brings the most adventure yet – Harry discovers his exact role in the final defeat of Voldemort. Another great Harry Potter movie, and a “must see” for any Harry Potter fan.
3. Coraline – This movie has the same director as The Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. It might be considered the “darkest” of them all! It is about a young girl named Coraline who desires major changes in her family relationships – but perhaps discovers that her life might not be so bad after all… (As a note, I don’t personally recommend this movie for very young kids due to it’s “spooky” and more than a bit bizarre nature.)
4. High School Musical 3: Senior Year – In this High School Musical version, Troy, Gabriella, Sharpay, Chad, Ryan and Taylor are in their final year of high school and they decide together to make it the most unforgettable year yet. A fun movie, especially for young ones who love these characters and/or movies.
5. Pinocchio 70th Anniversary – Here is the first of the “classics” on the list of the Best Kids Movies 2009, and it’s a delightful movie for any age. The re-make of this movie is rather spectacular, and the message of courage, honesty and integrity is always a good one.
6. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – Yes, here is another movie on the hottest sellers for kids this year! It’s impressive how the movie appears and sounds in digital format – especially Blu-Ray. This is a favorite for very young kids and little ladies too.
7. Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs – The plot thickens for the unlikely prehistoric crew when Mannie and Ellie are expecting a little Mammoth in their family. It creates some interesting changes in the crew and some rather amusing events take place. Fun movie!
8. The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary – This is the third and final of the classic movies on this list and is an amazing re-make of the original. In my opinion this is another movie that is not the best for very young children – that wicked old witch can be just a tad bit too scary, but is a fun movie for families and kids about 6 or 7 and older.
9. Monsters vs. Aliens – This is one of the cutest newer movies on this list! The theme has an interesting twist – what if monsters were actually the good guys? A fun choice and a nice job by Reese Witherspoon who plays the main character, Susan Murphy.
10. Bolt – Personally I think this is one of the cutest movies I have seen for kids. It is about a dog who stars as a superhero in film and begins to take the role a bit too seriously. The plot thickens when he loses his owner and has to go out on his own to find her. John Travolta plays the role of Bolt and does a fabulous job!
Some may disagree with one or more of the movies above in terms of what they consider to be the “Best Kids Movies 2009”, but strictly in terms of popular demand the above selections appear to comprise the definitive list. Speaking on a personal level I believe that these are some of the best movies for kids ever!